Applicant Procedure for Procuring a Historic Marker
1) Check ‘requirements for markers’ and be sure the site you are suggesting meets the guidelines. This includes cities, towns, incorporated areas, unincorporated areas, clubs, organizations or individuals.
2) Call the BCHDC office at 251-580-1897 or email us at email@example.com and a member of the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission will make preliminary contact with you, the applicant, to give assistance during the project.
3) After speaking with a BCHDC member, fill out the application and include the exact proposed text. 130-150 words per side is the maximum. Please use a computer program that includes 'word count' to allow for simplified review and editing. (‘Word’ format is preferable.) The final edit and changes, if any, will be sent back to the applicant for their approval and this will require a verifying signature from applicant.
4) When editing is finalized and approved, the payment for the cost of the marker, as appropriate, will be required to proceed. Please remit a check for $3,000 to the BCHDC. Please designate 'Historic Marker for ________ ' on the check. Please note that only markers in unincorporated areas will be funded by the County Commission. If there is a question, please contact the BCHDC.
5) All applications will be numbered and addressed in the order they are received.
6) U.S. Mail: BCHDC, C/O: Archives and History, 312 Courthouse Square, Suite 26, Bay Minette, AL, 36507 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org